SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience & Performance (US Midwest, Mid-2022) Review

Last year, I signed up for SpaceX’s Starlink satellite Internet service in hopes of using it to replace the Internet connection used to run Phoronix. After using Starlink for months and running thousands of benchmarks, Starlink has proven reliable in the US Midwest / Chicagoland, but performance can still be quite volatile and it was frustrating to wait for some Starlink accessories at first But the self serve nature and simplicity of the setup were great.

My first goal with Starlink was to replace Comcast’s Internet service with Starlink as my primary Internet connection. Comcast in my area has become increasingly unreliable with internet outages popping up more recently, Starlink is said to be slightly cheaper ($99 USD initially, but prices have since increased to $110, still better than $140 USD for just Comcast’s no data capped internet), and like the self-service nature of the Starlink installation. After months of testing, Starlink is currently extending my Internet connection to load some systems and IoT devices on it and use it as a backup during periods of Comcast downtime. However, speeds right now are too unreliable to consistently outperform Comcast’s wired internet connection – at least for the US Midwest/Chicagoland area.

After pre-ordering the Starlink Kit last year, I was notified of availability earlier this year — a quarter earlier than predicted. That was great and the $599 kit shipped quickly. Unfortunately for the updated Starlink Kit, the router/user terminal’s base station is WiFi only with no Ethernet port. An Ethernet adapter for the Starlink Kit is available separately for $25 USD. When ordering the kit, I also ordered the Starlink Ethernet Adapter, Starlink Pipe Adapter, Starlink Short Wall Mount and Starlink Cable Routing Kit, initially undecided on placement. That provided the first headache with availability on the Starlink accessories. While the delays in the availability of the Starlink kit are understandable due to supply chain issues and semiconductor shortages, it was surprising that the Starlink conduit adapter and the Starlink wall mount kit were not immediately available… At the time of writing it seems that four months later availability may have decreased as the Starlink Shop indicates these accessories are now in stock. Originally I waited several weeks to order various accessories and then cancel the orders when they were not fulfilled within the estimated shipping periods.

Since the wall mount and pipe adapter were not available at the time after weeks of waiting, I decided to just mount it on the roof of my shed. The slope of the roof is quite shallow and it was easily managed with a few studs (and roof caulking plaster) with the standard Starlink base. The Starlink Kit was easy to use. The installation went smoothly and with the Starlink Android app it was easy to get everything up and running. It was a great installation experience and loved the simplicity of the self installation.

But then my wife didn’t like that the Starlink dish on the roof was visible…

So after removing it and patching the holes, waiting a while for Starlink’s mounting kit to become available, and getting tired of waiting, I finally ordered the Winegard DS2000A Universal 22-inch Mount (Amazon.com, affiliate link). This satellite wall mount worked great and mounted the Starlink satellite dish without any problems. The mounting on the side of the shed was a convenience and the wife preferred the location. I wish I had originally known that the Starlink satellite was compatible with this holder instead of waiting weeks for Starlink’s official accessories … But now I know and luckily for new customers it seems that the availability has decreased .

Once I had the necessary hardware, Starlink installation was great and easy. No complaints from that perspective and a pleasure to maintain it yourself without the supervision and burden of a utility company. But now to the Starlink performance…


Prior to sealing the outer hole that was filled with spray foam and clean up.


The wires were then run to my shed where the Starlink base station/router was connected.

Leave a Comment